Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Marathon Monday Recap

Phew, thank god yesterday is over.
While many in this wonderful country stumbled into their cubicles to start their work week, Bostonians woke up early to celebrate the infamous MARATHON MONDAY (also Patriots' Day, Sox, Celtics & Bruins games)! As this is our final Marathon Monday, my roommates and I decided to go big or go home.

We all agreed to drink the miles (that's 26.2), and the day went a little something like this (thinking about it already hurts):
  • 8:30 am - My alarm goes off... I hear roommates giggling in the kitchen about how I told everyone I would be up at 8 am. I blame it on watching Live Free or Die Hard the night before... Bruce Willis can totally mess up your natural body clock.
  • Our kitchen smells yummy of bacon, french toast and mimosas: BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS.
  • We are all decked out in our running outfits and marathon numbers (thanks to my photoshop skills). I think we look more like Dogtown Z-boys and then grab a board and skate across our apartment.
  • 9:00 am - (Two) Guests arrive, breakfast begins! I pop our $4 Trader Joe's sparkling wine, roommate makes cranmosas (cranberry + champagne), I drench my french toast in maple syrup, whip cream and strawberries, secretly ate about eight pieces of bacon, (turkey and regular) and am very sad when the bacon plates are empty.
  • 9:05 am - Pop another two bottles of $4 Trader Joe's sparkling wine. Too full for more French Toast. We turn on the news to see where the runners are... wheelchair people have started, women are running... oh, now the men. THE MARATHON HAS BEGUN.
  • My roommate and I do a lap down our apt hallway... I win.
  • Roomate marks five tallies in purple sharpie on my left arm- Mile 5... great pacing.
  • 10:30 am - head over to South Campus apartment on Beacon Street to be closer to the marathon.
  • Watch the women runners on TV, then men, then women... eat Shaws brand BBQ chips, all of us agree Shaws brand chips are REALLY GOOD.
  • Drink my Vitamin Water concoction... on mile 7 now, and the women are near BU's campus. We head down to the street to cheer them on!
Okay, so sometime between the first time we went down to the street, I see Men's winner Merga running by, I yell "MERGA! MERGA! MERGA!" I ate a turkey sandwich I packed and a hot dog from Johnnie's Fresh Market. I see my London roommate Larissa and jump on her... lots of cheering, walking, talking...
  • 4:00 pm - Head back to our apartment. Unusually starved, I make a bowl of ramen.
  • We turn on one of my favorites 40 year-old virgin.
  • Done eating, I grab my blanket and jump on the couch.
  • Laugh, laugh, laugh... right about the time Paul Rudd calls Seth Rogen gay for listening to Coldplay, I pass out on the sofa. I later find out our poor friend Sophie is the only one awake, everyone else is sleeping.
  • I wake up around 7 something with the celtics game on. Head is pounding, look at wrists... only got to mile 11. I quit.
  • 8:00 pm - GOSSIP GIRL. The last bottle of $4 Trader Joe's sparkling wine we saved sits in our fridge, untouched.
Apart from the aching head, Ray Allen shoots a game winning 3-pointer, The Hills gets juicy and I feel like Marathon Monday lasted three days.

2 comments:

  1. excellent, excellent recap. i am still feeling the hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for reminding me of everything :) also.. excellent recap.

    ReplyDelete