Saturday, July 13, 2013

Independence Weekend in Upstate NY

While the rest of New York City flocked to the Hamptons, Montauk or the West Side Highway for July Fourth weekend, myself and a few friends drove two hours north to get some much need R&R and, more importantly, a pool. This was the first time I left the city for July Fourth, and it turns out a few other firsts, such as my first time to Woodstock and Levon Helm's studio for the Midnight Ramble, my first time picking (and eating) fresh raspberries and my first time having a hammock snap off a pole as I'm laying peacefully in it.

In a short two days, I learned a few lessons: 1) Supermarkets are far in upstate New York, 2) Mountain Brauhaus' Shnitzel Jager with spaetzel makes great late night food, 3) Farm fresh eggs in Upstate New York are amazing--no really-- and 4) Don't forget bug spray, because we did.

It was nice to get out of the city and explore upstate. It reminded me to get out of Brooklyn more often, maybe even venture above 14th street... thanks again to Hannah and Noah for planning!

No comments:

Post a Comment