Sunday, October 27, 2013

Oh Apple, What Happened to Your Commercials

Goldfrapp? That's so 2006. I love Goldfrapp's "Ooh La La" track and it still feels hip and relevant, but I expect more from you Apple. By this, I mean I expect Apple to surprise and delight me with a song I haven't heard of (remember that Feist nano spot?) or a classic that brings back pleasant feelings. Apple's latest spot for the 5s took the former route of using a classic, Goldfrapp's "Ooh La La" and the only feeling I had was disappointment. Watching the first few seconds of the 5s spot, I distinctly recalled hearing the same song for a Motorola Chocolate or RAZR phone ad--those ads had such high frequency that I remembered the brand--and so the 5s commercial just felt underwhelmingly familiar.

Check out these Motorola ads back from 2006 that defined the Goldfrapp track + cellphone model:


Seven years later, Apple releases this to introduce their 5s:


Not so ooh la la original right?

No comments:

Post a Comment